Germany – birthland of the automobile
- German Historical Tours
German Historical Tours
Birthland of the automobile, History of the automobile
1. day – we start our journey back into the history of the automobile in Stuttgart and in the sign of the star – the Mercedes star. Meeting place is the Mercedes-Benz Museum, which is with more than 1, 500 items one of the largest German automobile museums. Experience the fascinating history of 125 years of the success story of the automobile. Next to historical vehicles and current car models you will also find the legendary Silver Arrows race cars. After having lunch in the museum restaurant, we continue our tour by visiting all important locations in Stuttgart, which are connected with Gottlieb Daimler, including also this memorial in the ‘Kurpark’ in Bad Cannstatt.
Overnight in Stuttgart.
2. day - Breakfast at hotel. Part of our way to Mannheim is the Bertha Benz Memorial Route, on which in 1888 the world's first long distance journey took place. We stop at the first ‘gas station’ of the world. After arriving in Mannheim, we visit the birthplace of the automobile in Mannheim City, as well as the first auto route – the ‘Ringstrasse’. Then we continue to the Carl Benz Museum in Ladenburg, situated on the premises of the company "C. Benz Söhne Ladenburg". In 1906 Carl Benz and this suns Eurgen and Richard started here with the industrial production of cars. This tour day ends with the visit of Carl Benz house.
Overnight in Mannheim.
3. day – Breakfast at hotel. Transfer to Frankfurt via Vettelheim (= Heppenheim), hometown of the youngest winner of a Grand Prix meeting. In Frankfurt, we visit the “Automeile” of Germany, where 22 car dealers present 34 car brands and create the German car top turn-over. Lunch in the so-called factory canteen of the ’Klassikstadt’ on the premises of the former farmer engine factory Mayfarth. After lunch, we learn everything about the professional restoration of classic car coachworks. On our way to Fulda we tour on the most interesting passages of the ‚Feldbergring’ (Feldberg race track), which is – according to Karl Hermann Zobel (BMW) – the most difficult racing track in Germany. Then we continue on part of the Gordon Bennett race track, which focussed in the year 1904 the interest of the racing sports world on Bad Homburg. Not only the last emperor of Germany, William the II, watched the race, but also King Edward the VII, king of England.
Overnight in Fulda.
4. Tag – After our breakfast at the hotel, we visit the tyre factory Fulda, with its 100 year tradition. Lateron, we make a sightseeing tour in the historical part of Fulda. the city was founded over 1250 years ago and offers us a wide range of antique buildings, like the Cathedral in Baroque style, the Romanian St. Michael’s Church, the Residential Palace and the Adelspalais. Lunch in one of the pittoresque historical restaurants in the Baroque quarter. Evening for leisure time, you might go shopping, enjoy a ride in a hired classic or racing car, or relax in the spa “Seven Worlds”.
Overnight in Fulda.
5. Tag – Breakfast at hotel. Transfer to Neumarkt in der Oberpfalz, where we visit the Maybach museum. the Maybach automobiles belong definitely to the highlights of the automobile history. Only 1, 800 Maybachs were produced between 1920 and 1941. 16 of the nowadays existing 160 cars can be admired in this museum. the exhibition shows also further items like motors, transmissions, shafts as well as original films, short films and design models illustrating the background of the brand and the family Maybach.
We continue to Neuburg an der Donau, where we have lunch at a pittoresque restaurant at the riverside. Then we visit the company Sonax, getting into touch with the history of car care products. Transfer to Ingolstadt.
Overnight in Ingolstadt.
6. day – Breakfast at hotel. We visit the Audi plant as well as the Audi museum mobile. the museum leads us from the beginnings to the current Audi models. Some of the 80 items of the exhibition are moved by paternosters within the different levels of the museum. Children can explore interactively the functionality of automobiles. Transfer to Böblingen. Dinner in the restaurant ’Wichtel’, house brewery of the ’Meilenwerk’.
Overnight in the V8 Hotel in the ’Meilenwerk’ in Böblingen.
7. day – Breakfast at hotel. the sightseeing tour of today covers to the most important working places of Ferdinand Porsche in Stuttgart. Ferdinand Porsche is one of the key figures of the automobile history. Besides inventing his own brand - the Porsche, he also influenced heavily the development of Daimler and VW. After lunch we visit the Porsche museum.
Tranfer to airport or to central station. Service package finished.
Interested in more automobile history? We recommend our automobile Tour – North Germany, with the highlights Wiesmann, Karmann, Horch, Trabant as well as the VW-Autostadt, the Nürburgring and the diplomatic race track.
During the Automobilsummer, which celebrates the 125 birthday of the automobile in Baden-Württemberg, the festival highlights will be integrated in our tour.
Please do not hesitate to contact us for further information